Chapter 1: Promoting Positive Mental Health in the European Youth Sector
To understand more about the meaning and the different aspects of Positive Mental Health, check pages 11 to 18 of our Theoretical Framework for Promoting Positive Mental Health and Wellbeing in the European Youth Sector.
QUESTIONS FOr reflection
Now that you have heard and read about what we mean with the term Positive Mental Health in the European youth context, take some time to reflect about the following questions:
• What does the term mental health mean to you?
• How would you define positive mental health?
• What influences young people’s mental health?
• How can young people’s mental health and wellbeing be promoted?
want to explore more?
- Kuosmanen, T., Dowling, K. and Barry, M.M., (2020). A Framework for Promoting Positive Mental Health and Wellbeing in the European Youth Sector. ERASMUS+ Project www.nuigalway.ie/hprc
- Barry, Clarke, Petersen & Jenkins (2019). Implementing Mental Health Promotion (2 nd Ed.) Cham, Switzerland: Springer Nature. Part 1 – Chapters 1-3. https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030234546
- Barry, M.M., Kuosmanen, T., Clarke, A.M. (2017). Implementing Effective Interventions for Promoting Adolescents’ Mental Health: A Review of the Evidence in the European Region. WHO European Regional Office
- Barry, M.M. (2009). Addressing the determinants of positive mental health: concepts, evidence and practice. International Journal of Mental Health Promotion, 11(3) 4-17.
- Clarke, Morreale, Field, Hussein & Barry (2015). What works in enhancing social and emotional skills development during childhood and adolescence? Report for the Early Intervention Foundation & the UK Cabinet Office
- Herrman, H., Saxena, S. and Moodie, R. (eds) (2005). Promoting Mental Health: Concepts, emerging evidence, practice. Geneva: World Health Organization. www.who.int/mental_health/evidence/en/promoting_mhh.pdf
- Keyes, C.L.M. (Ed.) (2013). Mental Well-Being: International Contributions to the Study of Positive Mental Health. New York: Springer – Chapter 16. https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9789400751941
- Kuosmanen, T., Clarke, A.M. and Barry, M.M. (2019), “Promoting adolescents’ mental health and wellbeing: evidence synthesis”, Journal of Public Mental Health, Vol. 18 No. 1, pp. 73-83. https://doi.org/10.1108/JPMH-07-2018-0036
- WHO (2013). Mental Health Action Plan 2013–2020. Geneva: World HealthOrganization. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/89966/1/9789241506021_eng.pdf